After doing some running around and accomplishing very little, I got to work here. Started to “get to know my protagonist” as more than a cardboard cutout. 15 minutes ended very quickly, but I had another pile to tackle.
I didn’t post anything here yesterday. I hate to in it, but I dropped the ball. It was day one (again) of the “30 Day, 15 Minutes a Day” writing challenge.
My only justification is that I could tell that it wasn’t working, but it took me a while to figure out WHY. It simply wasn’t a story. It was a series of loosely-connected events without a focus.
Things that seemed to help me figure what needed to happen included:
Moving from Microsoft Word to plain text, and finally moving each individual paragraph into Scrivener so I could move things around more easily. (I think this forced me to rethink the function of each paragraph…)
Yesterday I did more detailed character work. (When I reread it today, I realized that neither my protagonist nor my antagonist had any goals. Today, I am so overwhelmed. I really need to go back to the beginning.)
I need to add in sensory details.
And… I know this is sort of backward, rethink the outline.
These are not exactly steps. I tend to do all of these at the same time, thoroughly confusing myself in the meantime.
On the other hand, I did turn in the book review for my church’s newsletter.
I formatted the story for submission in Microsoft Word. As I checked to make sure that it “looked right,” I found myself removing bits that did not enhance the story. I also added some bits. I want to thoroughly edit again tomorrow.
I didn’t intend to add those 200-some-odd words today. I only intended to read the story through and put in missing or misspelled words. I shaped the story a little bit more. TOMORROW I will simply proofread and not add.
271 words today. It’s a total of 1053 words, and it is complete. Sort of.
Tomorrow, is my first copyediting. I will probably add and delete like crazy. I just had to set it aside. I have a tendency to see what I think is supposed to be there instead of what actually IS there.