I have to take care this medical issue before I can go back to writing stories.
After doing some running around and accomplishing very little, I got to work here. Started to “get to know my protagonist” as more than a cardboard cutout. 15 minutes ended very quickly, but I had another pile to tackle.
I certainly sound different than I did yesterday.
I didn’t post anything here yesterday. I hate to in it, but I dropped the ball. It was day one (again) of the “30 Day, 15 Minutes a Day” writing challenge.
My only justification is that I could tell that it wasn’t working, but it took me a while to figure out WHY. It simply wasn’t a story. It was a series of loosely-connected events without a focus.
Things that seemed to help me figure what needed to happen included:
- Moving from Microsoft Word to plain text, and finally moving each individual paragraph into Scrivener so I could move things around more easily. (I think this forced me to rethink the function of each paragraph…)
- Yesterday I did more detailed character work. (When I reread it today, I realized that neither my protagonist nor my antagonist had any goals. Today, I am so overwhelmed. I really need to go back to the beginning.)
- I need to add in sensory details.
- And… I know this is sort of backward, rethink the outline.
These are not exactly steps. I tend to do all of these at the same time, thoroughly confusing myself in the meantime.
On the other hand, I did turn in the book review for my church’s newsletter.
We had housecleaning today and I have not been near the computer today until now.
I admit it, I did not write much today. Pieces of related stories are popping up into my head. They seem to me in the same setting, so I drew maps and doodled ideas.
I’m wondering if that’s useful or a procrastination tactic… Probably both?
I was highly unproductive today. I really had trouble focusing. I spent 15 minutes rereading, finally. Maybe I SHOULD have taken yesterday off.
I forgot. I’m supposed to take one day a week off, but I didn’t. It was only 15 minutes…
I formatted the story for submission in Microsoft Word. As I checked to make sure that it “looked right,” I found myself removing bits that did not enhance the story. I also added some bits. I want to thoroughly edit again tomorrow.
After I proofread, I found some places to try to send this story.
I didn’t ADD words to the story. I carefully looked for mistakes. It wasn’t 15 minutes, but 45. It just takes me longer to see what needs correcting than it takes to put something down.
I am counting it, regardless.